Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Part 1 of 2: My favorite Bathrooms

I've always been meaning to do a Bathroom Post, but somehow never got around to it.

So when my friend Maxine contacted me about her bathroom, I knew now was a good time.

One of the reasons I've never really posted about Bathrooms is that I currently only have 1.5 bathrooms in my house and they are uninspiring and super tiny. I'm talking 70's mirrored sliding shower doors and all. I have major ideas but no square footage. Our plan in 2011 is to add a shower to the basement bathroom, and tear down the sliding doors, but I digress.

For Part 1 of this post I thought I would show some of my favorite bathrooms. You can get tons of ideas for storage, color and design from any of these spaces:

Not only do I love the aqua / white color scheme, I love the use of back door storage for everything from a transferable shower caddy and towels to jewelry and tissues.


If you don't have a ton of closed door storage, have no fear. Look how cute this looks with a simple floating shelf above the mirror (complete with glass apothecary jars), a simple unfinished rack that you can hang towels and tools on, and lastly an industrial open shelf with cool tin boxes.


Love the rustic ledge above the bath!


I love the natural towel racks and step stools as well as the open shelves. Also, for all you renters out there...are you looking for a high-impact, low-commitment design idea--I love the idea of simple and modern decals.

You can never go wrong with black walls and a romantic chandelier...oh and the vintage black/white tile and crown molding doesn't hurt either...love!

If you want to keep everything neutral, make the room pop with a graphic rug:

I love the way the aqua bedroom walls lead into the lemon yellow of the bathroom. Also, I love the idea of painting our bathroom door black--this might only work when the bathroom doesn't lead directly to a hallway...hmmm I wonder if Ryan would let me paint all of our doors black? :)
If all else fails, choose a graphic curtain--this will make any space special.

If you want to hang wallpaper anywhere, your bathroom is the best place to do it. I absolutely love bathrooms with bold wallpapers--the bolder the better. You don't have to worry about the space feeling too crowded. Bathrooms are meant to be cozy.

TIP: If you don't have a ton to spend, or need something less permanent, find your favorite wallpaper and then order a couple samples. You can frame these samples and hang in your bathroom for that great pattern you love!

Maybe you paint the ceiling black?

Or hang a white distressed mirror above the claw-foot tub and a glass chandelier over the vanity

Multiple sinks? Hang multiple lighting fixtures!

Love all-white bathrooms...

If you have an older tub, why not glaze the bottom half with a fabulous color like this Nantucket Red! I also love the DIY project of wallpapering your linen doors with a complimenting pattern.
Gwyneth's Bathroom...need I say more?

If you are like me and originally had a light wood vanity, don't be afraid to paint/stain it. I painted mine black and added vintage crystal knobs! (This is not my vanity below--but I love the rich stain!)

Who says you can't hang regular shelves in bathrooms? Yes you will have to dust them, but if you have a huge wall without windows and need something interesting, I think this is an awesome idea! Love love love the vintage tile!!!
Couldn't resist...how fun is this? This would be perfect for the outdoor grizzly man stuck on the 26th floor of a high-rise...

Look out for Part 2: Maxine's Bathroom Inspiration Board, including where to find some great bathroom storage and design pieces later this week.

3 comments:

  1. O my God. Really the outrageous designs. All one are decorated wonderfully. Either they are not containing shower doors but they look outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frameless Shower door enclosures are the latest bathroom remodeling trend. check it out!
    Frameless Shower Door

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bathroom ideas! I've been trying to take the leap and paint our upstairs bath black - might just do it!

    http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com
    Color Outside the Lines

    xo,
    A

    ReplyDelete