Like Save-the-Dates, entryways are first impressions and set the tone for the rest of your house.
This would be like wearing a completely fabulous outfit, but putting an old ratty coat over---disaster!
The key to any good entryway is light, light, light! But sometimes this can't be helped. So here are a few fool-proof items to a fabulous first impression:
- Console table--keep this uncluttered. Great console tables have drawers so you can keep your keys, new mail, etc. out of sight
- On a console table--put inviting items such as a great framed photo, candle, small clock, and a great table lamp.
- Over the console table, hang either a great piece of art--or--an interesting mirror. A mirror is a great way to bring light into a dark space--and make the room appear larger.
- Bench. I love the idea of a nice bench welcoming guests. Once again, if the bench has baskets underneath all the better to store your extra shoes, slippers.
- If you can't fit a bench, I love having a wicker basket near your console table to store shoes. One of my pet peeves is walking into a house and seeing all of the owner's shoes from that week laying around!
- Umbrella stand--this is more for charm than necessity, but how cute!