The fireplace is the natural focal point in any living room. Properly accessorizing your fireplace mantel can help define and elevate your room's soul, but first you must decide what look / feeling you want to achieve.
Symmetrical (formal): Objects should be similar, symmetrical, and balanced:
Asymmetrical (casual): Layer, layer, layer. Objects can vary in type, size, and height. But both sides should still be balanced in weight. You don't want one end too accessory-heavy and the other looking bare. Layer by adding frames in front of mirrors, books in front of candlesticks, etc.
Here are some amazing mantel styles from The Inspired Room.
You can make your mantel go from boring to perfectly styled with any or all of these items:
- Picture frame
- Candlesticks (always 2 of either the same height or varying heights)
- Decorative plate
- Glass jar(s)
- Collectible objects (coral, XXX)
- Cover the books in decorative paper. Wrapping paper for Holidays, buffalo plaid for fall, and spring florals/ticking stripes/polka dots for spring & summer months)
- Fill the glass jars with seasonal objects (snow, fall leaves, rocks)
- Wrap the picture frames like a gift for the Holidays
- Change the flowers (bright hydrangeas for warm months, willows for cool months)