Friday, September 10, 2010

Design Dilemma: Empy Boston Office in Need of a Makeover

After seeing my post where I helped my sister update her dreary office space...

My great friend Mary contacted me about her new office!

Mary just started a new job at a non-profit organization located in Boston. After years working from home, Mary wants to inject some personality into her new space.

Here are some pics of her office BEFORE:


Here is my inspiration board for her office:

Since Mary's office is already green, I tried to stick to a similar color palette. However, I think the color should be a warmer Kelly Green, Like Benjamin Moore's Courtyard Green. The current green has too much yellow.

I wanted to keep the patterns and textures slightly vintage, but with a garden preppy feel. I think look is very approachable and inviting while staying professional.

I lovvvvve this patterned rug from Target! It works so well with the wall color, and really has great pops of color.


I would also pair the rug, with these beautiful linens on pillow covers:


In lieu of a lot of art, I would do an easy DIY project and wrap several boards with fabric and batting, and make ribbon pin boards. I love the idea of doing several and hanging them like art behind your desk! Here's a great tutorial.



Then after you have selected your wall color + patterns + textures.......it's a piece of cake! Everything else should be light, white, airy with a touch of preppy vintage! This will keep this room fresh and modern.

On the other side of your desk, I would love to see a modern tailored sofette like this one from West Elm! At $599, it is actually cheaper than purchasing two chairs!

If this is a little too pricey, I found a similar sofa at Ikea for.....drumroll please.....$149!?!
Some White Drapes, Vintage Drape Rods, an Airy Glass Lamp, White Ceramic Vases, Filigree Star Pendants, Capiz Mirror, and a Hanging Pendant is all that's left!



Finally--I think it would be fabulous to paint the cabinets an okra...but because this is an office and not your personal kitchen...

A simple upgrade of hardware would turn this corner of the office from drab to fresh! I love these satin nickel knobs and pulls from Lowes.

Mary, let me know if you want me to come up to Boston and help you :) I'm always looking for an excuse to visit Boston!!!!

And be sure to send us AFTER pics!

If anyone else has a design dilemma, be sure to email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment